fot

RE: tranny's

To: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tranny's
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:24:45 -0600
I sent this out once, but it never made it to the FOT list for some
reason.  I've got a JK Jackson OD gearbox.  As near as I can tell, it's got
a late TR-6 gearset (steel bushing in 3rd gear), but the early A-type 22%
overdrive.  The effect is a 7 speed gearbox.  Shifts from 2 to 2OD, 3, 3OD,
4, 4OD at 6000 rpm result in 700 to 1000 rpm drop.  I would think that with
a close ratio gearset that the 2OD and 3OD would be close enough to 3rd and
4th to not make much difference.

I love the added drama that 2 methods of shifting give me, but when the OD
conks out due to some sort of electrical glitch I find my lap times don't
really change.

- Tony Drews