fot

Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...

To: BillDentin@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:43:51 -0500
--===============1058189605==

--------------010103000000020300030005

Bill, that is what Paul Harvey would call "the rest of the story".  I
lost track of what Jack did after his car was pronounced done for the
weekend.  I knew he spent a lot of time working on the Tornado and that
the spare head went from Jack's engine to yours.  I didn't realize it
was another liner problem. He was probably spent by the time it got to
our all night marathon.  I forgot to mention that my son, Tom, was
working all night too.  I let him work underneath the car, so the oil
could drip in his face rather than mine. I didn't have a spare oil
filter, so we had milky oil on Sunday morning too.  We ran it anyway.
All the water vaporized off during the first race, and the oil was clean
after that.
Larry

BillDentin@aol.com wrote:
> I could be wrong, but Larry might not be remembering that Hallett
> story 100% correctly.  In fact, I think Jack was working on our
> Thunder Bolt (not his car, and it certainly was not his mistake).  The
> two and three liners were in wrong.  J K Jackson pointed it out, and
> Jack Drews led an effort to make 'at track' corrections.  It was an
> ill-advised, albeit enthusiastic effort, (the figure eight gaskets got
> compromised).  Kas couldn't bear to watch, and left the area with a
> grin on his face.  We had a ton of kibitzers, and Jack was getting far
> more help and advise than he needed.  I've got some great pictures of
> Jack working to first get the liners out (enough to turn them), and
> then to get them back in.  We were using a really big hammer.  Can't
> remember why we needed Larry's head, but we did, and I returned it to
> Jack after I got back home.  We actually got the car running, but the
> oil looked like a light chocolate milk shake.  We had plans to change
> the oil and run it a BARBER the following week end, but decided that
> was a bad idea.
>
> Bill Dentinger
>

> **************
> It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.

--------------010103000000020300030005

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Bill, that is what Paul Harvey would call "the rest of the story".&nbsp; I
lost track of what Jack did after his car was pronounced done for the
weekend.&nbsp; I knew he spent a lot of time working on the Tornado and that
the spare head went from Jack's engine to yours.&nbsp; I didn't realize it
was another liner problem. He was probably spent by the time it got to
our all night marathon.&nbsp; I forgot to mention that my son, Tom, was
working all night too.&nbsp; I let him work underneath the car, so the oil
could drip in his face rather than mine. I didn't have a spare oil
filter, so we had milky oil on Sunday morning too.&nbsp; We ran it anyway.&nbsp;
All the water vaporized off during the first race, and the oil was
clean after that.<br>
Larry<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:BillDentin@aol.com";>BillDentin@aol.com</a> wrote:
 face="arial,helvetica"><font back="#ffffff"
 style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" ptsize="12"
 family="SERIF" color="#400040" face="Baskerville Old Face" lang="0"
 size="3">I could be wrong, but Larry might not be remembering that
Hallett story 100% correctly.&nbsp; In fact, I think Jack was working on our
Thunder Bolt (not his car, and it certainly was not his mistake).&nbsp; The
two and three liners were in wrong.&nbsp; J K Jackson pointed it out, and
Jack Drews led an effort to make 'at track' corrections.&nbsp; It was an
ill-advised, albeit enthusiastic effort, (the figure eight gaskets got
compromised).&nbsp; Kas couldn't bear to watch, and left the area with a
grin on his face.&nbsp; We had a ton of kibitzers, and Jack was getting far
more help and advise than he needed.&nbsp; I've got some great pictures of
Jack working to first get the liners out (enough to turn them), and
then to get them back in.&nbsp; We were using a really big hammer.&nbsp; Can't
remember why we needed Larry's head, but we did, and I returned it to
Jack after I got back home.&nbsp; We actually got the car running, but the
oil looked like a light chocolate milk shake.&nbsp; We had plans to change
the oil and run it a BARBER the following week end, but decided that
was a bad idea.<br>
Bill Dentinger<br>
It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal
here.<br>
(<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"