fot

Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:28:05 -0500
I hesitate to tell this story, because it resulted from a screwup by
Jack.  But what the heck, we all know he was a great mechanic, but
everyone makes mistakes. I know I make my share. My son Tom remarked,
"See dad, even a guru can make a mistake." This was the only time I ever
got to wrench directly with Jack.

This occurred during our weekend at Hallett in 2006.  Jack broke a valve
on the very first day.  We had the rocker cover off and he tapped one
rocker with a hammer and the valve stem flew up in the air.  Next step
was to pull the head.  We noticed that he had accidentally reversed the
front two cylinder liners, so the chamfer on the edge of the liner was
in the wrong place.  The intake valves were smacking the top of the
liner.  He mulled over the situation and I offered to loan him a spare
head that I had at home (in Tulsa).  We took the car back to my garage
rather than work at the track.  We ground a chamfer on the liners where
is was supposed to be, mocked everything up and checked to make sure the
valves had plenty of clearance. Put my head on and he was good to go.
It was fun to work with him.  There was also several FoT over that
evening which was great fun.  Unfortunately, our fix to Jack's engine
didn't last.  I think the valve pounding on the liner had transmitted a
lot of force to the camshaft and the gear for the distributor and oil
pump. The camshaft failed the next day.  We got a chance to work again
in my garage on Saturday night to replace a split cylinder liner in my
engine.  Jack was smart and turned in early (after all the guy was 70
and had heart problems).  Bob Kramer and Tony Drews hung with me until
we got it done just in time to watch the clock change from 2am to 3am
daylight savings time.  We were successful with the fix, but still had a
persistent miss the next day.  What the heck, at least we had a chance
to compete on Sunday.  I will always remember pulling that all nighter
working in the garage with friends.

The mental image of Jack and Tony that I will never forget is seeing a
red and blue TR4 head to tail as they went screaming around Blackhawk
farms in 2006.
Larry Young