fot

Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...
From: Dennis DeLap <yellow-green@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
--===============1478192048==

--0-770320458-1219239567=:27878

I have been lucky these last few years to have spent some time working with
Jack in his garage.  My cold winter drives to Geneseo would always be rewarded
with the best shop talk and Triumph stories.  For some reason Jack agreed to
let me work with him in building my first tractor motor - I think that he could
tell that I really wanted to know how it was done.  Eventually he even taught
me how to port a head.  Garage time with Jack is truly my favorite memory.
  I'll really miss knowing that he is out there.

  Dennis

Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com> wrote:
  One of the things we'll be doing at the visitation is having folks
write down a favorite memory of Jack. It occurs to me that many of
you can't attend but would like to participate in this portion of his
celebration. You may even find it cathartic (I find that reading and
responding to the messages about him is cathartic for me).

If you'd like, reply to me with your favorite memory of Jack. I'll
make sure that the whole family gets to read all of these. If you
feel the desire, you can cc the FOT list, but that's not necessary.

I have a couple that I can share:
At IRP, when we were sharing old blue, Jack told me that turn 2 could
be taken flat out. After the next session, I was explaining to him
how much I had to work at it to keep the car on the track when I took
turn 2 flat out. His response: "You're taking 2 flat out? I've not
done THAT yet in THIS car..." - apparently he was explaining the
hypothetical... We would push each other quite a bit that way - one
of us would find a driving trick and couldn't wait to share it with
the other one of us.

At Road America, when I was still sorting out the Red Rocket (my
car), I had just removed the muffler in my quest for more top end
power. When we got out on the track for the race, we were totally
equal in handling and power. I believe that it was a 6 lap race. We
were within a couple of car lengths of each other for almost the
entire race. One of us would draft by the other one on the front
straight, and then on the back straight (from turn 3 to turn 5), we'd
reciprocate. I passed him like 5 times and he passed me 5 or 6 times
in the 6 laps. I went through turn 5 and 6 with Jack on my inside at
least once, tires squealing, inches apart, and I may have returned
the favor. On the last lap, I managed to pull ahead for the run
through the kink, he couldn't draft by me until the start / finish
line - I had finally bested him! However, exiting Canada corner my
throttle linkage broke (I had been pushing down on the gas pedal with
all of my might throughout the race), and he passed me to finish
ahead. We always talked about this as the highpoint of our racing
careers. Racing inches apart, sliding through the corners on those
wonderful Vintage TD's, totally trusting each other, man - it doesn't
get any better than that.

- Tony

--0-770320458-1219239567=:27878

<DIV>I have been lucky these last few years to have spent some time working
with Jack in his garage.&nbsp; My cold winter drives to Geneseo would always be
rewarded with the best shop talk and Triumph stories.&nbsp; For some reason
Jack agreed to let me work with him in building my first tractor motor - I
think that he could tell that I really wanted to know how it was done.&nbsp;
Eventually he even taught me how to port a head.&nbsp; Garage time with
Jack&nbsp;is truly my favorite memory.&nbsp; </DIV>  <DIV>I'll really miss
knowing that he is out there.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>Dennis</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>Tony Drews &lt;tony@tonydrews.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">One of the things we'll be doing at the
visitation is having folks <BR>write down a favorite memory of Jack. It occurs
to me that many of <BR>you can't attend but would like to participate in this
 portion of his <BR>celebration. You may even find it cathartic (I find that
reading and <BR>responding to the messages about him is cathartic for
me).<BR><BR>If you'd like, reply to me with your favorite memory of Jack. I'll
<BR>make sure that the whole family gets to read all of these. If you <BR>feel
the desire, you can cc the FOT list, but that's not necessary.<BR><BR>I have a
couple that I can share:<BR>At IRP, when we were sharing old blue, Jack told me
that turn 2 could <BR>be taken flat out. After the next session, I was
explaining to him <BR>how much I had to work at it to keep the car on the track
when I took <BR>turn 2 flat out. His response: "You're taking 2 flat out? I've
not <BR>done THAT yet in THIS car..." - apparently he was explaining the
<BR>hypothetical... We would push each other quite a bit that way - one <BR>of
us would find a driving trick and couldn't wait to share it with <BR>the other
one of us.<BR><BR>At Road America, when I was still sorting out
 the Red Rocket (my <BR>car), I had just removed the muffler in my quest for
more top end <BR>power. When we got out on the track for the race, we were
totally <BR>equal in handling and power. I believe that it was a 6 lap race. We
<BR>were within a couple of car lengths of each other for almost the <BR>entire
race. One of us would draft by the other one on the front <BR>straight, and
then on the back straight (from turn 3 to turn 5), we'd <BR>reciprocate. I
passed him like 5 times and he passed me 5 or 6 times <BR>in the 6 laps. I went
through turn 5 and 6 with Jack on my inside at <BR>least once, tires squealing,
inches apart, and I may have returned <BR>the favor. On the last lap, I managed
to pull ahead for the run <BR>through the kink, he couldn't draft by me until
the start / finish <BR>line - I had finally bested him! However, exiting Canada
corner my <BR>throttle linkage broke (I had been pushing down on the gas pedal
with <BR>all of my might throughout the race),
 and he passed me to finish <BR>ahead. We always talked about this as the
highpoint of our racing <BR>careers. Racing inches apart, sliding through the
corners on those <BR>wonderful Vintage TD's, totally trusting each other, man -
it doesn't <BR>get any better than that.<BR><BR>-
Tony<BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>http://www.team.net/donate.html<BR><BR>Fot
 mailing
list<BR>Fot@autox.team.net<BR>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/fot<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>