fot
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Fot] TR6 Oil Pressure During Race Conditions

To: Jason Sukey <jason@jsperformancemotoring.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 Oil Pressure During Race Conditions
From: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2026 16:35:59 -0400
Authentication-results: autox.team.net;
Cc: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Delivered-to: mharc@autox.team.net
Delivered-to: fot@autox.team.net
References: <CAPR120-kYSCgSfYejGS13i+n9QGjYWi7uisSmREHe66jchawnQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAEN1C=T_f-niBwa_gjnT=1jQGZ_HpwQvc4ySRJ4HBHf+TY2pCg@mail.gmail.com> V3qREGRkJ2Ym1derZTnUnYHBgjAt6fQkZouslmYoGnsXrEz7MwywWwMpZ3QA9F3UjPX4L2r9it+ vXdC9l94CfcLqfOsyadcXeO/BLbt0iFgYnH6JuEkScQvr+BGgHb2RAICESl8C2DEHuQ2ZdAChfK WsW9cxV0DJUGdQEQSarFHpKduzvbgDK9JSiDZMudcN1TiZKgsIOzR17Q5ggHMKMjvIVEIipOp17 R4K9aORFftjWxA/jdWsWWFenP0OECA6WvK3D266uthSBGkM8Rn3RC79ZoQhwzeWRdRzj8OW7MzD VkEc/RwZ3EjqCkzpdc9F2vueMDIXUMCTXaytI77h7B+QNqvFyotApUfpysVRXA= cx=c_apl:c_pps:t_out a=bsP7O+dXZ5uKcj+dsLqiMw==:117 a=bsP7O+dXZ5uKcj+dsLqiMw==:17 a=VdqzKS8jKosA:10 a=x7bEGLp0ZPQA:10 a=r2JQK53DWrQA:10 a=VkNPw1HP01LnGYTKEx00:22 a=oj19BjzFAAAA:8 a=Vx6AxQKvAAAA:8 a=Z9u4QGAYAAAA:8 a=3j4BkbkPAAAA:8 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=JcvzPq48AAAA:8 a=HHGDD-5mAAAA:8 a=o35w5xDXjF-WouKWxeMA:9 a=lqcHg5cX4UMA:10 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=XHMWkZ4ohEj_dcEERv4A:9 a=KSF148zgWIHCrmH1:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=rNzuHaUmLe3wAe31aoV8:22 a=o3JgkQBZJipcPbDdrqpU:22 a=mwhqqkC1h1iZsUID_N2a:22 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 a=583lFiaoEu_1o58ccHmG:22 a=Jq4-fRLgjQbFE0Cjh5s6:22 WNKINtSWkCQm6KrOUrdldBXpoHvIsdndFKO+BWksn2q6HUhtmdTMy1bJREXXO+OKNy7eLCnNxsl9aN2B67YCNjHYGv+nxGXOPNuJQC+LJkn0HmINyQgTRtuFI1lT2T/34scbUQBHBFVn3k/JeIOpR/GWFm9BfOVHlEAs6dM28KvSBwwZ8taigRQ1zyKYHD2LSWWCZLLsfEObT4NEK/uLr8VfFA+KJJHG1ZxwQUcfWG70FC64C7hhpbNErNEN0R6zwtA/aewhehB8=
--===============6489886473920283677==
        boundary="Apple-Mail=_CC6C3B2C-BDD5-453D-B749-3EFBA448D181"


--Apple-Mail=_CC6C3B2C-BDD5-453D-B749-3EFBA448D181
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
        charset=utf-8

Hi, Mark, another not-quite-the-same story, but I also run a GT6 with a =
stock - now baffled oil pan and an accusump.  My accusump is plumbed =
right into the block - directly above the stock oil filter opening =
there=E2=80=99s a hole in the block that is filled in with some soft =
metal from the factory.  That was drilled out, tapped and has an AN -12 =
(?) hose that connects to the accusump on the passenger compartment =
floor.  Like Jason, I just have a manual lever/ball valve right on the =
tank- open that up before I fire the engine, close it before I shut it =
off. I can reach it easily when I=E2=80=99m sitting in the car.  I also =
have a big red autometer pro-lite on top of the dash, aimed at me, which =
goes on any time the pressure drops below 30 or 40 lb (been so long =
since I installed it I don=E2=80=99t remember what the pressure switch =
is at). It serves two purposes - when I turn on the ignition switch, it =
lights up until I open the accusump and the pressure builds.  Second, I =
don=E2=80=99t need to be watching my gauge while racing - if that light =
goes on, I immediately know something is wrong, big time, and can shut =
off the engine hopefully before I ruin it and/or oil the track.

I run a stock pump, the baffles divide the pan into quarters and have a =
few holes punched in them to let the oil move around but not too much.  =
Loose fit at the bottom of the pan. Again, like Jason, I also run the =
oil level about 3/8 -to- 1/2=E2=80=9D above the top fill mark as I find =
the oil pressure does drop slightly if it=E2=80=99s below the top fill =
mark.
My full chat oil pressure at the Glen this weekend was about 70-75 lb =
(this engine has about six events on it) - 60 lb cold at idle, maybe =
50lb hot at idle.  I do not notice any fluctuations on turns.
I think my full fill is about 7.5 quarts starting with a drained =
accusump, but not sure.  BTW- I always use an oil pressure primer tank =
when I change the oil, start the engine, open the accusump to pressurize =
it (partially - don=E2=80=99t want the oil pressure to drop as it fills =
up), then adjust the fill level at the dipstick.  That way, any time I =
start the engine after that I can pre-oil it with the accusump.

I wonder if your baffle is the issue?  If this is it, I don=E2=80=99t =
think it is doing much good. =
https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/aluminium-sump-baffle-plate-tr5-6/=

On the other hand, I don=E2=80=99t see any issues with this one.  Not =
sure what the saucer pick-up really does for the engine, though. Might =
even keep oil from getting to the intake if it is too close to the =
bottom of the pan.  =
https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/track-day-competition-oil-pump-com=
plete-kit-tr5-6/
not sure which one you have.
Good luck, let us know what you find out.  An accusump is cheap =
insurance! =20

Scott Janzen

On Sep 29, 2026, at 3:41=E2=80=AFPM, JS Performance Motoring, LLC =
<jason@jsperformancemotoring.com> wrote:

Mark,
         My GT6 runs a baffled stock pan with a stock pickup, so it's =
apples to oranges, but I find that running the oil level about 1/2" =
above the "full" line on the stock dipstick helps reduce how often the =
oil pressure fluctuates in left-hand turns. There is ample room before =
the crank throws hit the oil, that extra oil has never been a problem =
for me.  I suspect the longer throws of the 2.5L crankshaft also have =
plenty of room.

When watching my in car videos, I see the oil pressure gauge needle =
still flickers occasionally during a left turn after a hard braking =
zone, but with the Accusump backfeeding, it never indicates pressure =
nearly as low as what you are reporting.  I'm still seeing 50 psi during =
a momentary drop.  70 to 80 psi at peak revs (8,000 rpm) with hot oil.

How is your Accusump plumbed into the engine?  I have seen Accusumps =
with an electronic valve that doesn't open until some preset pressure =
drop, those seem less helpful in this sort of situation. I prefer the =
manual valve that's wide open whenever the engine is running.



Jason Sukey
JS Performance Motoring, LLC
440.984.7720
www.jspmparts.com <http://www.jspmparts.com/>
https://www.facebook.com/JSPerformanceMotoring/


On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 3:20=E2=80=AFPM Mark Cook <mecook635@gmail.com =
> All,
>=20
> Back in January, installed a newly built back up engine in the TR6 =
(while Jason Sukey was re-building my original engine).  Finally, ran =
some break-in laps back in May at lower RPMs (one session at <5,000, =
then a second session at about ~6,000rpm).  Engine ran well, but did not =
really push it hard.
>=20
> Last week at VIR, pushed the car a little harder (both in rain and dry =
track).  Moving through T3 and T4 (left hand turns), I experienced very =
low oil pressures: =20
> T3 -  30.1psi / 3954rpm / 60.1mph and=20
> T4 -  24.8psi / 3643rpm / 46.6mph. =20
>=20
> At similar rpms,=20
> T12 (RH), 52.4psi / 3525rpm / 45.9mph.=20
>=20
> I have a Racetorations oil sump (take 1.6qts more than stock), race =
baffle and race oil pickup (with the saucer).  Did not push the TR6 very =
hard, not over 7,000rpm.
>=20
> Clearly the oil must be sloshing to the right side of the pan during =
the slow left hand turns.  The Racetorations pickup is the saucer kind =
which is centered in the sump.
>=20
> Showing good pressure at around 70+psi at near 6,800rpms in straights =
and 2qt accusump when idling, 80psi.
>=20
> We are going to drain, measure and refill. Thoughts, other than simply =
not enough oil in the system?
>=20
> The math:
> Stock TR6 system -     5.4qts
> Racestorations Sump +1.6qts
> Oil lines                       +0.5qts (external oil feed)
> Oil cooler                     +0.5qts
> Accusump                    +2.0quts
> Total       10.0qts
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Mark Cook
>=20
>=20
> _______________________________________________
>=20
> http://www.fot-racing.com <http://www.fot-racing.com/>
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
> Unsubscribe/Manage =
<http://www.team.net/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage>: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jason@jsperformancemotoring.com
>=20
>=20
_______________________________________________
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/sjanzen@me.com




--Apple-Mail=_CC6C3B2C-BDD5-453D-B749-3EFBA448D181
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
        charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">Hi, Mark, =
another not-quite-the-same story, but I also run a GT6 with a stock - =
now baffled oil pan and an accusump. &nbsp;My accusump is plumbed right =
into the block - directly above the stock oil filter opening there=E2=80=99=
s a hole in the block that is filled in with some soft metal from the =
factory. &nbsp;That was drilled out, tapped and has an AN -12 (?) hose =
that connects to the accusump on the passenger compartment floor. =
&nbsp;Like Jason, I just have a manual lever/ball valve right on the =
tank- open that up before I fire the engine, close it before I shut it =
off. I can reach it easily when I=E2=80=99m sitting in the car. &nbsp;I =
also have a big red autometer pro-lite on top of the dash, aimed at me, =
which goes on any time the pressure drops below 30 or 40 lb (been so =
long since I installed it I don=E2=80=99t remember what the pressure =
switch is at). It serves two purposes - when I turn on the ignition =
switch, it lights up until I open the accusump and the pressure builds. =
&nbsp;Second, I don=E2=80=99t need to be watching my gauge while racing =
- if that light goes on, I immediately know something is wrong, big =
time, and can shut off the engine hopefully before I ruin it and/or oil =
the track.<div><br></div><div>I run a stock pump, the baffles divide the =
pan into quarters and have a few holes punched in them to let the oil =
move around but not too much. &nbsp;Loose fit at the bottom of the pan. =
Again, like Jason, I also run the oil level about 3/8 -to- 1/2=E2=80=9D =
above the top fill mark as I find the oil pressure does drop slightly if =
it=E2=80=99s below the top fill mark.<div>My full chat oil pressure at =
the Glen this weekend was about 70-75 lb (this engine has about six =
events on it) - 60 lb cold at idle, maybe 50lb hot at idle. &nbsp;I do =
not notice any fluctuations on turns.</div><div>I think my full fill is =
about 7.5 quarts starting with a drained accusump, but not sure. =
&nbsp;BTW- I always use an oil pressure primer tank when I change the =
oil, start the engine, open the accusump to pressurize it (partially - =
don=E2=80=99t want the oil pressure to drop as it fills up), then adjust =
the fill level at the dipstick. &nbsp;That way, any time I start the =
engine after that I can pre-oil it with the =
accusump.</div><div><br></div><div>I wonder if your baffle is the issue? =
&nbsp;If this is it, I don=E2=80=99t think it is doing much =
good.&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/aluminium-sump-baffle-plat=
e-tr5-6/">https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/aluminium-sump-baffle-pl=
ate-tr5-6/</a></div><div>On the other hand, I don=E2=80=99t see any =
issues with this one. &nbsp;Not sure what the saucer pick-up really does =
for the engine, though. Might even keep oil from getting to the intake =
if it is too close to the bottom of the pan. &nbsp;<a =
href=3D"https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/track-day-competition-oil-=
pump-complete-kit-tr5-6/">https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/track-da=
y-competition-oil-pump-complete-kit-tr5-6/</a></div><div>not sure which =
one you have.</div><div>Good luck, let us know what you find out. =
&nbsp;An accusump is cheap insurance! =
&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Scott Janzen</div><div><br><div><div>On =
Sep 29, 2026, at 3:41=E2=80=AFPM, JS Performance Motoring, LLC =
&lt;jason@jsperformancemotoring.com&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><div =
dir=3D"ltr"><div>Mark,</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;My =
GT6 runs a baffled stock pan with a stock pickup, so it's apples to =
oranges, but I find that running the oil level about 1/2" above the =
"full" line on the stock dipstick helps reduce how often the oil =
pressure fluctuates in left-hand turns. There is ample room before the =
crank throws hit the oil, that extra oil has never been a problem for =
me.&nbsp; I suspect the longer throws of the 2.5L crankshaft also have =
plenty of room.</div><div><br></div><div>When watching my in car videos, =
I see the oil pressure gauge needle still flickers occasionally during a =
left turn after a hard braking zone, but with the Accusump backfeeding, =
it never indicates pressure nearly as low as what you are =
reporting.&nbsp; I'm still seeing 50 psi during a momentary drop.&nbsp; =
70 to 80 psi at peak revs (8,000 rpm) with hot =
oil.</div><div><br></div><div>How is your Accusump plumbed into the =
engine?&nbsp; I have seen Accusumps with an electronic valve that =
doesn't open until some preset pressure drop, those seem less helpful in =
this sort of situation. I prefer the manual valve that's wide open =
whenever the engine is =
running.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><div =
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature" =
data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div =
dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div =
dir=3D"ltr"><div>Jason Sukey</div><div><span></span><span></span>JS =
Performance Motoring, LLC<br></div><div>440.984.7720</div><div><a =
href=3D"mailto:jason@jsperformancemotoring.com"; =
target=3D"_blank">jason@jsperformancemotoring.com</a><br></div><div><a =
href=3D"http://www.jspmparts.com/"; =
target=3D"_blank">www.jspmparts.com</a></div><div><a =
href=3D"https://www.facebook.com/JSPerformanceMotoring/"; =
target=3D"_blank">https://www.facebook.com/JSPerformanceMotoring/</a><br><=
/div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div><br></div><br><=
div class=3D"gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir=3D"ltr" =
class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 3:20=E2=80=AFPM Mark Cook =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mecook635@gmail.com";>mecook635@gmail.com</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px =
0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid =
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div =
dir=3D"ltr"><div>All,</div><div><br></div><div>Back in January, =
installed a newly built back up engine in the TR6 (while Jason Sukey was =
re-building my original engine).&nbsp; Finally, ran some break-in laps =
back in May at lower RPMs (one session at &lt;5,000, then a second =
session&nbsp;at about ~6,000rpm).&nbsp; Engine ran well, but did not =
really push it hard.</div><div><br></div><div></div><div>Last week at =
VIR, pushed the car a little harder (both in rain and dry track).&nbsp; =
Moving through T3 and T4 (left hand turns), I experienced very low oil =
pressures:&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div>T3 -&nbsp; 30.1psi / 3954rpm / 60.1mph =
and&nbsp;</div><div>T4 -&nbsp; 24.8psi / 3643rpm / =
46.6mph.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>At similar =
rpms,&nbsp;</div><div>T12 (RH), 52.4psi / 3525rpm / =
45.9mph.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I have a Racetorations oil sump =
(take 1.6qts more than stock), race baffle and race oil pickup (with the =
saucer).&nbsp; Did not push the TR6 very hard, not over 7,000rpm.

</div><div><br></div><div>Clearly the oil must be sloshing to the right =
side of the pan during the slow left hand turns.&nbsp; The Racetorations =
pickup is the saucer kind which is centered in the =
sump.</div><div><br></div><div>Showing good pressure at around 70+psi at =
near 6,800rpms in straights and 2qt accusump when idling, =
80psi.</div><div><br></div><div>We are going to drain, measure and =
refill. Thoughts, other than simply not enough oil in the =
system?</div><div><br></div><div>The math:</div><div>Stock TR6 system =
-&nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp;5.4qts</div><div>Racestorations&nbsp;Sump&nbsp;+1.6qts</div><div>Oil=
 lines&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;+0.5qts (external oil feed)</div><div>Oil =
cooler&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp; &nbsp;+0.5qts</div><div>Accusump&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;+2.0quts</div><div>Total&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp;10.0qts</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks,</div><div><br></div><div>Ma=
rk Cook</div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; =
target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com/"; rel=3D"noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
<br>
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage"; =
rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>=

href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jason@jsperformancemotor=
ing.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jason@jsperfor=
mancemotoring.com</a><br>
<br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>
=
_______________________________________________<br>fot@autox.team.net<br><=
br>http://www.fot-racing.com<br><br>Donate: =
http://autox.team.net/archive =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/sjanzen@me.com<br><br><br></div>=
</div><br></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_CC6C3B2C-BDD5-453D-B749-3EFBA448D181--

--===============6489886473920283677==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot



--===============6489886473920283677==--

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>