Re: Timing marks?

To: "List Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>, <clocks@midcoast.com>
Subject: Re: Timing marks?
From: "Neil Trelenberg" <neilberg@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:05:56 -0700
James, to the best of my knowledge there is only one timing mark on a
BT7....TDC. I will be corrected if I'm wrong. To set up the timing
stroboscopically you will need an advance timing light. They allow you to
dial in the degrees you want so when you turn the dizzy you set it up for
TDC. So if you dial in 15 degrees you then TDC it. A couple of things to
mention, don't go by the tach in the car when you are trying to get it to
idle at 600 rpm. Use a digital tach like what would be part of the advance
timing light system. I doubt very much that your car tach is accurate at
those low rpm's. One or two hundred rpm makes a difference when you time it.
Second I would suggest you try using 15 BTDC in the cooler damp months and
maybe 12 BTDC in the warmer dry months. I found on my car that 15 was fine
in the winter but when it warmed up and dried out it ping'd a bit. I tried
10 and found that worked fine but it had noticeably less power, 12 for me
was a good compromise....Neil