RE: How did we pick our Marque?

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How did we pick our Marque?
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:44:54 -0800
I was stationed with the US Air Force in France where a friend had a big
Healey. In the four years that I was stationed there, I went to the race at
Le Mans three times, 1960, 1961, and 1963. (On pages 58 and 59 of the 1961
program, there is a two page picture of the start of the race.  AH UJB143
is in the picture and if you look at the upper left hand corner, you will
see me on the overhang above the pits taking pictures.  Wife Marge is
leaning over the rail.).  One of those times, the friend drove his Healey
to the race. It was on the race course at Le Mans that I had my first ride
and drive of an Austin Healey. Upon returning to our base, my friend asked
if I would like to do a rally with him. I tried navigating for him twice
but got car sick both times. During one of the rallies, after stopping
several times to allow me to open the door and hang my head out, he spun
the Healey twice while trying to make up time. We did a couple of 180s
without lifting a wheel off the ground or running off the road. At that
point, I fell in love. I just had to have this automobile that looked that
good, went that fast, and seemed that safe, but, I had to wait almost ten
years for it to happen.

In the late 60's, early 70's I was stationed in England. While there, I
began looking for a suitable Healey. Those that were owned by American
servicemen were generally in bad condition, had had engine swaps, or
modified in some other way - none of which I wanted. Those owned by English
citizens were right hand drive. While considering the feasibility of
converting a right-hand drive, an advertisement was brought to my attention
for a 1967 3000, left-hand drive, for sale by an Englishman. Upon
contacting him, I found that the car has been built for export and shipped
to Spain. It was returned to England and he had acquired it. He was now
leaving England and wished to sell it. I took the train down to southern
England where the car was located, took a ride in it and renewed my love of
all things Healey. A price of #950 ($2,280) was agreed upon and I drove it
back to RAF Bentwaters. At the time of purchase, the odometer showed 14,640
miles.

It has since been repainted a few times (to original Healey Blue over Old
English White), the engine has undergone one rebuild, and some rusty panels
have been replaced. About half of the upholstery has been replaced along
with new carpet. It has been rallied, gym- and funkhanaed, autocrossed,
hill climbed, driven (not raced but driven hard) on tracks such as Sear's
Point and Portland International Raceway, toured, shown, and used as a
daily driver for two years when I went back to college. The Healey and I,
at times with either my wife, Marge, or my son, Kip, have been to 27 of the
31 West Coast Meets, International Meets, and Healey Rendezvous. We have
been to gatherings of the Southern California groups and the Cascade club.
Add to that, regional trips with the local clubs, and,  if it was original
and accurate, the odometer would be showing in excess of 162,000 miles on
the dial (I am keeping track of true mileage).

HBJ8L39031 is still running strong, attracting many thumbs-up on the road,
and I still love it after 35 years. Although some people might ask why I go
to certain places, I answer that it is not the destination, it is the
journey that gets me on the road in my Austin Healey. I look forward to
seeing some of you down the road soon.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031