Re: How did we pick our Marque?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How did we pick our Marque?
From: FloridaDiving@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:09:46 EST
Not nearly as cool a story as all of yours (very interesting stuff!) ....but
here goes.  I guess this can serve as my introduction to you guys.

Just call me lucky, I guess, to be the niece of a man with taste.  My first
LBC was inherited from my very cool uncle a mere 6 years ago (when I was 38).
A 1971 V12 E-Type that he purchased new in California, but it was in
Washington at his place, and was in Florida at mine 3K+ miles away.  Oblivious
to the
whole LBC world and driving an American muscle car at the time, I didn't have a
clue about E-Types until I took the tarp off of it in his barn where it had
been sitting in disrepair a few years. It needed an engine rebuild ($$) and
some of the expected mechanicals (brakes, hoses, etc.) before I could even
drive
it for the first time. Got it on the road on the 4th of July, 2000.  It's a
rust-free original except for a nice respray he had done at some point.  I
joined a Jag club, took on the editor job, really got into it.  The car meets
introduced me to the rest of the LBCs, but that is the car that changed my
life.

Thanks to the Internet and the good fortune of being neighbors with one of
the best restorers in the land, I have come a long way.  I continue to listen
and learn. The competition (concours, slalom, rally) has been fun. I kept my
cars as nice drivers, and actually placed 3rd in North America for the slalom
in
my class this year.  The concours wins don't mean as much to me, but I did get
North American 1st twice in my class with my uncle's E.

Then, a couple of years ago I felt ready to take on another car, and decided
it was either going to be a 66/67 BJ8 or a Series 1 XKE roadster.  I lucked
into a beautiful 66 Golden Sand XKE from Arizona and added it to the stable.
Made some upgrades (alum. radiator, new interior, etc.) and am really enjoying
my
first convertible ever.

Well, here I am again... itching for another LBC (you understand, don't
you?).  I really wanted to go in on the AH 100S that was recently sold for way
out
of my range. Just dreaming, I suppose.  Instead, I have now purchased a yet
unseen BJ8 that I will pick up less than 36 hours from now... I can hardly
wait.
 It's been fully restored and probably won't be the driver that my Jags are,
but it will see road time once it's *my* car.

I suppose that's enough about me for now.  I'm used to being the only one -
or one of few - chicks in the coo-koo's nest with you guys.  I know some of you
from the LBC circles, and hope to meet the rest of you and your cars someday.
 In the meantime, I will listen and learn and continue to drive and have fun!

Cheers,

Ginger Corda
Lakeland, FL
1967 BJ8 (getting it this Friday morning)
1966 Jaguar OTS
1971 Jaguar V12 2+2 FHC
-- somebody stop me