Re: Value Insanity

To: rahosmer@citlink.net
Subject: Re: Value Insanity
From: "dwflagg@juno.com" <dwflagg@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:44:46 GMT
I suppose I'll get flamed over this, but this thread aggravates an issue I have
with "duplicating" rare cars and colors. There were, I think, somewhat more or
less than 500 cars originally painted "golden beige". Re painting a BJ8 in a
non original (for that car) "golden beige", just pollutes the value and rarity
of the original. This is the same as all the wannabes who "convert" their
perfectly good examples of a 100 to "M" specs. Of the 3600 or so BN2's that
were produced, how many examples are there of the original car that don't have
louvered bonnets, stereos, CB's, Smitty conversions, etc.. Maybe this is why
there are none at auction. I appreciate that cars are being restored that
otherwise would have been lost forever and that color is an individual choice,
but there is a uniqueness that is greatly diminished by polluting originality.
When Tom Kovacs created the number 29 car everyone knew it was a reproduction
of a car that no longer existed in that form. It provided a window into
history. As Dick states "I'm lucky to still HAVE, and be able to drive, my OEW
car of 44 years". It just seems that rather than being happy with what were are
fortunate to own and drive, many want it to be something more. I think we
should appreciate the Healey for what it is, not what we think it should be.
IMHO. Thanks.

Doug
'56 BN2

David,

I agree - and especially in the case of the "golden beige", which I
understand IS a "rare" color, there well COULD be some intent to
increase
value thereby.

Personally, I think that "rarity" is entirely due to the fact that MGB
is an
awful-looking shade, and I would NEVER paint my Healey that color - but THAT
is an entirely different issue!  :-)

Of course, I am just a retiree on a limited budget. I'm lucky to still HAVE,
and be able to drive, my OEW car of 44 years, let alone deal in the
megabucks ventures recently described.

Dick Hosmer
1962 BT7 tricarb