RE: Seat Belts

To: "'R Huseman'" <ronhuseman@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Seat Belts
From: John Sims <ahbn6@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:59:28 -0500
I really do not understand this thread. My '57 Ford came standard with lap
belts, padded dash and recessed steering wheel for safety. This was almost
FIFTY years ago! This was before the tort attorneys and Ralph Nader started
their campaigns. I would not have had it any other way with the safety
features on my Ford. That being said, there was a fraternity brother of mine
who became a nationally noted photographer and the successor to Ansel Adams
(Galen Rowell) He dropped out of Cal to work on hot rods and take
photographs and it was only his seat belts that saved his life as he was
prone to rollovers. (Used to see his bumps and scratches on Mondays before
he dropped out to pursue another career - but never anything broken.)

One of the WORST things that ever happened was to eliminate the belt switch
where the car could not be started unless the belt was fastened if a sensor
indicated that there was weight on the seat. My wife and I left retirement
in Las Vegas to move back to New Jersey to babysit our newborn grandson (now
almost 6) and there is absolutely no way that I would ever endanger his
life. Seeing him hours each day of his life developing is worth a seat beat
or two. I cringe at the news reports of kids being hurt because of their
parents using a lack of common sense if they have any at all.

I would much rather have common sense dictate what safety items I should
have on my car however, common sense is a commodity sorely lacking in this
day and age. (think of the idiot spilling McDonalds coffee and then having a
jury of idiots give her millions for her stupidity. Medical bills 2K or so,
pain and suffering 2K or so but millions, BS and then complain about the
high cost of insurance - NOT) Because of this lack of common sense, the tort
attorneys are having a field day.

And, a college education means nothing. Look at Ben whatever his name is for
the Pittsburgh Steelers riding a motorcycle with no helmet and wants to
continue to do so no matter how many concussions he gets. What a great
example he is!

Flame Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ