Re: [Healeys] oil pressure relief valve

To: "'Healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil pressure relief valve
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:24:14 -0400
As far as air in the oil pressure line is concerned, some have the opinion
that the air needs to be bled out of the line for the gauge to display the
correct pressure.  However, my experience was different.

Shortly after I replaced the flexible oil line on my BJ8, there was a
discussion on the list about the need to bleed the line.  Realizing I had
not done that and was seeing less pressure than I would expect after a
rebuild, I went out and bled it by starting the engine, then cracking the
nut and letting the oil drip for several minutes into a pan before
re-tightening the nut.  When I looked at the gauge, the needle was vibrating
so rapidly that I thought it would break.  Then I disconnected the hard line
to the gauge for a minute, then reconnected it.  The gauge needle was as
steady as before I bled the line.
My conclusion is that air in the line is necessary to dampen the pressure
pulses from the oil pump and it is not only not necessary but
counterproductive to bleed it.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry