[Healeys] Cold Cranking Amps

Subject: [Healeys] Cold Cranking Amps
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 07:30:12 -0700
There's several variables to consider:

- Later 6-cyl cars have the battery in the boot.? That's a long cable
run to the starter solenoid; the cables and terminals need to be in good
nick.

- Ditto the starter.? The field coils in starters build up resistance
over time and, eventually, the starter won't crank as well, putting even
more load on the battery.? After a couple cranks, the field coils get
warm and the resistance builds up and, of course, the battery's reserve
gets depleted.

- The higher the compression in your engine, the harder it is to turn over.

- Thicker oil, like 20W-50 can bog an engine down a bit.

The more CCA you have, the more margin to start an engine, esp. on a
cold day (that's why CCA is the nominal stat for batteries). My Healeys
are harder to start after they've been sitting for more than a few
days.? The 500CCA number I gave was a SWAG; I haven't seen any full-size
auto battery with less than that anyway.? We got a battery for my dad's
'65 Mustang 289 with 550CCA from Autozone; Costco didn't sell the size
we needed.? It cranks the V8 OK.

FWIW, when I rebuilt my BJ8's engine the (previously) satisfactory wet
cell battery I had wouldn't even turn the engine over (later compression
checks showed 180PSI +/- in all 6).? I had the starter rebuilt and
installed an 800CCA AGM battery.? The starter actually startled me the
first time I cranked it; it's nearly as fast as the geared starter in my
Mustang.

TLDR; The more the better.

Bob