Re: another long day

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: another long day
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 12:54:27 -0700 (MST)
    if I just hit reply, my message goes only to the individual sender,
    not the list.  How come?

This occurs because there are a lot of brain dead mailing programs out
there.  Sometimes it could also be a clueless user, too.  If the reply
address were set to the list, an infinite loop could be started.
Someone would set up a vacation program, or some pice of junk mailer
could bounce a message from the list to a subscriber.  Instead of
sending the bounce to the appropriate place (e.g. listname-owner@wherever )
the stupid mailer would send the bounce back to the reply address, the list.

The list software would send the that bounce out to the list.  The
stupid mailer would send another bounce to the list.  The list
software would send that bounce out to the list.  The stupid mailer
would send another bounce to the list.  The list software would send
that bounce out to the list.  The stupid mailer would send another
bounce to the list.  The list software would send that bounce out to
the list.  The stupid mailer would send another bounce to the list.
The list software would send that bounce out to the list.  The stupid
mailer would send another bounce to the list.  The list software would
send that bounce out to the list.  The stupid mailer would send
another bounce to the list.  The list software would send that bounce
out to the list.  I'm assuming you get the idea by now.

mjb.