Re: [oletrucks] master cylinders

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] master cylinders
From: "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 09:38:42 -500
Not so... The fluid you push into the lines when you hit the
brake pedal only displaces the fluid in the lines and ultimately the
wheel cylinder/calipers actuates....  ie: if by pushing on the brake
pedal 5 cc of fluid is inserted into the main line, then after it
leaves the proportioning valve 2.5 cc goes to the left side and 2.5cc
goes to the right... the proportioning valve only equalizes the
pressure front to rear should a difference in pressure occur...
normally this would not occur or your idiot light "BRAKE" would come
on... The reservoir has no effect on the amount of fluid pushed
out thru the plunger. The chambers inside the master cylinder is
what counts and the size of each (front & rear) are of different
sizes in a disc/drum brake system.
The reason your front reservoir (For the rear brakes) is smaller is
that the rear brakes are not as important as the front ones. If you
have calipers they fill with fluid but do not have return springs to
pull the piston back so it keeps the brake pads in slight contact
with the rotors, thus using up more fluid as the calipers are large
in diameter (However they use less fluid to activate them).. As the
brake wears down the caliper piston moves outward and fills with more
fluid (Taking more from the reservoir) until they are all the way out
and you start hearing metal scraping sounds.... There fore you need
more of a reserve for disc brakes. If for some reason you were low on
fluid in the rear brake reservoir your low fluid light (if you have
one) would come on... If you lose all your rear fluid then the
proportioning valve would sense the difference in pressure and the
"BRAKE" light would come on... If for some reason you lose your front
brakes the proportioning valve would sense the difference in pressure
and the light would come on. You would still have brakes but only the
rears...and they will not stop you in a crisis situation. Your pedal
will also feel low and or spongy.
I do not know what a residual pressure valve does but unless it adds
fluid to the front brakes (Drum/Drum) system i would still use a
drum/drum master...
rogerg

> From:          jelerath@us.ibm.com
> To:            "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
> Date:          Mon, 8 May 2000 15:02:50 -0600
> Subject:       Re: [oletrucks] master cylinders

> I have a disk/drum master cylinder in a F*&d in which the front reservoir
> is smaller than the rear, but the front reservoir is connected to the rear
> (drum) brakes.
>
> In Chevy products (Camaro proportioning valves) the "proportioning valve"
> also has a restrictor built in internally.  I think that will dominate in
> the flow restrictions over the line diameter.  My logic says if the line
> diameter were critical, we'd have to make sure that each brake line, to the
> left and right side, is exactly the same length....they aren't.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Elerath
> '53 3100 (Camaro, Bel Air, Chevelle, Chrysler, etc, etc)
> Cupertino CA
snip

> I'm not an expert but i still disagree ... The front plunger chamber
> in the master cylinder on a disc/drum system is smaller than the
> rear, the front lines are also smaller... This will restrict the flow
> to the front wheel cylinders... When the rear brakes fill up faster
> than the front they are going to lock up causing you to spin
> out... It will take a long time to fill up the front cylinders
> because these cylinders are usually larger than the rears... When you
> push on the brake pedal the rear chamber will fill the rear cylinders
> first and thus stop the master cylinder plunger from going any
> further thus causing the proportioning valve to move but it can only
> move so far and has its own limiting capacity. If you guys that have
> made this exchange can get your front wheels to lockup before the
> back ones do then I stand corrected but if it was me I would exchange
> a drum/drum master cylinder to replace the old single line type, and
> I would stay away from those designed to work with disc/drum ones.
> rogerg
>

> > From:          "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
> > To:            "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>

> > You can still use the disc/drum master cylinder on a drum/drum system but
> > that's where the proportioning valves and the added residual pressure
> valve
> > comes into play.  The added residual pressure valves takes over for the
> > added pressure needed for the drums 10 lb (disc uses a 2 lb valve).
> > The proportioning valve then fine tunes the braking system for the weight
> > characteristics of the truck to make sure all brakes apply evenly.
> > You could just buy a drum/drum master cylinder but your still going to
> need
> > the proportioning valve.

> > > I don't think you can use the master cylinder from a front disc rear
> > > drum brake system on a 4 wheel brake system due to the different line
> > > sizes being that they use small lines for the front and large for the
> > > rear... The system was designed for use with disc on front and the
> > > fluid needed to push the calipers closed is much less than the amount
> > > needed for the rear drums.. You need a master cylinder for a drum
> [...]

Rogerg
51-3100 AD Huckster
Lisbon, Connecticut