Re: [oletrucks] vapor lock remedies

To: bkn6@airmail.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] vapor lock remedies
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:42:43 -0400
Brad,
The first thing is to be sure it's vapor lock (or a fuel problem). If
you don't have a see through filter get one! A plastic one will do for
now, mount it right at the carburator. You don't have to cut the fuel
line, you can slide rubber line over the flare on the end and use a
flare nipple on the carb to attatch the rubber line to.

Make a note of the normal gas level in the filter then next time it does
it, check to see if the filter is much emptier. If it is you have a fuel
delivery problem maybe vapor lock. If the fuel level is normal, take off
the air cleaner, look into the carb (engine off!!), pump the accelerator
and see if gas squirts into the carb. If not you have a carb problem
(unlikely but possible).

If you are getting gas through the carb, check spark next. A bad coil
can do this. Have your wife hold a spark plug wire in her mouth as you
crank the engine, oh, no, sorry forget that part,(those are the discount
divorce instructions). Anyway check to see if you ae getting spark by
pulling the coil wire from the distibutor and holding it about 1/4" away
from the engine (with insulated pliers!). Have the wife crank it over
and see if spark jumps. If not you have an ignition problem, probably
the coil.

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL