Re: [oletrucks] vapor lock remedies

Subject: Re: [oletrucks] vapor lock remedies
From: Lewis Osborn <losborn@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:42:11 -0700
Mechanical fuel pumps pull the gasoline from the tank to the engine,
effectively lowering the pressure of the fuel in the line.  Just as a
pressure cooker - or lower altitude - raises the boiling point of a
liquid, lower pressure - or higher altitude - lowers the boiling
point.

So, you're cruising along at 50-60 mph, with the windows down, the air
blowing through your hair (I can dream, can't I? <G>> and it's purring
like a kitten.  Then, you pass the sign with those two dreaded
words... "Road Construction."  You're down to a crawl, the temp gauge
rises a bit, and, all of a sudden, that beautiful purr ceases.  Yep,
silence, except for the popping of metal expanding unevenly.  The fuel
in the line between the tank and the pump - where it runs (too) near
the transmission or engine - has boiled, and, guess what?  it's a fuel
pump, not an air pump, so, no more "go."  If that wasn't enough, when
the engine stops, so does the pump - kind of a Catch-22.

That's one of the reasons they started using electric pumps, mounted
in or near the tank.  The pump pushes the gas, resulting in higher
pressure in the line, with a correspondingly higher boiling point.
But, even if it does vaporize a little bit, the pump just keeps
jamming liquefied gasoline up the line, anyway.

That's pretty much the way my Dad explained it to me, years ago -
although he never installed an after market electric fuel pump...
--
Lewis - K7LVO - Medford - Valley of the Rogue - OR
The Forty - 1940 Chevy Pickup - One Owner