Re: [oletrucks] 700R4 LOCKUP TORQUE CONVERTER?

To: "New Mexico Jim" <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 700R4 LOCKUP TORQUE CONVERTER?
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:00:59 -0700
It's not stock at all - I replaced the T350 with the 700R for the overdrive.
First, the non-lock up setup eliminates the need for any transmission wiring
harness on the '73.  Second, I wanted the heavy duty T/C build for
off-roading applications.  I was cooking the lock-up converters with the big
tires I was running on the truck even with an additional cooler and a pusher
fan (the T/Cs weren't heavy duty enough - perhaps there are builds out there
I am unaware of).  I have a buddy who's running this particular 700R build
(non-lock up) behind his big block and tows a trailer.  Obviously he can't
run the transmission super hard, but his has performed just fine for 50,000+
miles.  I'm not saying one way is right and another is wrong -- I just
wanted to get the options out there to folks for consideration.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100
'55 M38A1
'73 K-10