Re: [oletrucks] ifs

To: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] ifs
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:19:52 -0700
I quite enjoyed the ifs discussion and hope that it continues in any
direction in which it may naturally develop .  Together with engine swaps,
this has got to be one of the most fundamentally interesting questions to an
oletrucker.  Everyone has to decide fairly early in setting forth the work
to be done whether he will keep the solid axle or go to ifs.

I'm particularly interested in the bolt on vs. welded discussion because I
picked up what I think is a 49 or 50 Pontiac or Olds ifs at the junk yard
last weekend.  I thought it was Chevy at first, but comparing the rubber
bumpers to the Steele catalogue and talking with guys who know the
dimensions of the Chevy car IFS leads me to believe otherwise.

It looks like a neat bolt-on (or weld on) ifs for ADs.  The bolt plates are
flat with 12 holes on each side.  They are set up for frame rails a constant
28" apart.  The AD's go from 28" to about 26" at the relevant points on the
frame.

The really exciting thing is that the spindles are almost identical to 1/2
ton spindles, and should take one of the solid axle disc brake set ups
without too much work.  The steering arms look positioned to take a rear
mounted rack, and the A arms and spring towers require no cutting of the
original inner fenders.  Track width is the same as the solid axle.

 I plan to take photos and, if it is an easy swap, I'll post a how-to.  My
point in the present message, though is to say that the subject of IFS swaps
is intensely interesting to lots of guys, both in the big issues of design
geometry and factory vs. aftermarket, and in the "nuts and bolts" details
like whether to bolt or weld (or both?).

So thanks again, guys, and keep it coming.  We're lucky to have such an
active list.  I belong to another on a completely different subject, and the
poor moderator is trying to keep the list alive by putting together posts.
I love radio (one guy talks and everyone else listens) but a good
discussion's better.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)