Re: [oletrucks] Project Book

To: "Bill Broadway" <bcubed@vanhalen-irc.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Project Book
From: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:14:47 -0400
I keep all the expenses for my truck in an Excel spreadsheet......like
several people have mentioned.  I look at the total quite often to remind me
that my truck is still worth more than I have in it.  Since I've owned the
truck, I've spent about $1,800 on it (in 3.5 years).  During that time, the
value of the truck has gone up by over $2,000 according to two of the major
classic car price guides.  I try to keep track of the expenses just so I'll
know if I still have a good investment.  However, I fully realize that I
might well cross that line one day where I'll have more in the truck than
it's worth.

And that brings me to an issue I've wrestled with for quite a while.  My
truck is in very good condition, but certainly not a show truck.  I've
thought a lot about doing a frame-off restoration on it one day, but the
dollars I'd have to spend would be more than the truck is worth.  Isn't it
better to just find one that someone else has fully restored or rodded and
buy it for what it's worth.....rather than spend more than it's worth fixing
it up??  I'd sure like to hear from some of you guys who have done a
complete restoration or rod project.  Why did you do it rather than just
buying one that was already fixed like you wanted?  My guess is that (a) the
truck is very special to you (eg, family history ....like Emory's), or (b)
you just wanted to do the work yourself because of the personal rewards of
doing it.  Either way makes perfect sense.  After all, there's a LOT more to
owning an oletruck than just looking at it as an investment.  If investment
was the key issue, I guess most of us wouldn't be oletruck owners.  Like I
mentioned, the complete restoration/rod issue is one I've struggled with for
a while.  Just wondering what some of you think..........
Tom Caperton
47-2nd 3100....in Whiteville, NC
tcape@weblnk.net