Re: Your Spitfire

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Your Spitfire
From: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 22:01:54 -0700
Apparently, the official color name (which I call burgandy) was "Damson" .
I got this from Fred Griffiths, who has a variety of spitfires that he is
restoring.  He has a web site, but I can't see to find the address
anywhere. If you type "spitfire embroidery" into the Yahoo or similar
search engine, you can get there. He does embroidery designs.

I really agonized over keeping the stock rims or switching over to wire
wheels and knock offs. I then saw a spitfire with wire wheels and it really
looked kind of gaudy. Of course, the owner had every add on known to man on
the car. He had those stone guards on the headlights, a flag on the
antenna, badge bar on the bumper, luggage rack.  And it really turned me
off. So, at least to me, stock rims "fit" the spitfire nicely. When I
bought the car, it had leather seats and crash pad. I ripped those out and
replaced them with  good old vinyl and cloth seats. I think that putting
leather in a spitfire is like putting an armani suit on a panhandler. It
just doesn't look right.  Keep the leather for the Jaguars. Spitfires look
"natural" in vinyl.  And vinyl withstands the Arizona sun a lot better than
leather does.