Re: Your Spitfire

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Your Spitfire
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:53:28 PST
Let me put a big ME TOO on this thread.  I did this job last month.
Bought the new abs cover from BPNW.  Got new speed-nut clips from my
dad's store.  Bought some Reflectix from Lowes.  Combined the above with
3M General Trim Adhesive and some new self threading screws.  The cover
was a royal pain in the A$$ to get back in with the layer of reflectix
under the flange of the cover.  But it went back in after some sweating
and cursing.  I then covered the flange with Aluminum tape and filled
all the holes in the firewall with black silicone gasket maker.  Of
course I completed all this after the dog days of summer so I never got
the full benefit but I think its an improvement none the less.

Ryan Smith
72 Emerald Green Spit

>I used the same stuff and installed it on the transmission side of the
>tranny cover. I confirm that it is cooler and quieter. I highly
>recommend that any gaps in the firewall be plugged at the same time for
>maximum effect. Sometimes the holes for the wires get bigger than the
>wires going through them. Use some "dum-dum" to plug 'em.
>
>Vic Whitmore
>Thornhill, Ontario
>
>Dave Terrick wrote:
>>
>> Ken, Atwell, and list...
>>
>> to solve heat problems in the GT6 I used a product called Reflectix.
It is
>> essentially bubble packing with a reflective aluminuminuminum coating
on
>> each side.  Seal the tunnel as best you can (use weatherstripping if
>> necessary) and then make a pattern for the tunnel and for under the
carpets.
>> Install under the carpet and seal the pieces together with our secret
>> weapon - duct tape.
>>
>> Reflectix reflects something like 90 percent of the heat and made the
GT no
>> warmer than my VW GTI in the bad days of summer... before that I'd
take the
>> GTI over the GT if it was above about 75 - 80 F.  Now  imay as well
>> de-register the VW for the summer.
>>
>> You can get this stuff at Home Depot or other DIY stores.  It is
marketed
>> for duct wrapping, water heaters, etc.  It comes in many widths but
$20
>> worth of any combination should do you.
>>
>> Dave T
>> Winterpeg