Re: Painting a spitfire question

To: <Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Painting a spitfire question
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:03:46 -0000
>Here is a stupid question...
>People say not to use chemicals to strip the car... Why?
>I assume that the reason for not sanding is fear of removing too much
metal?

If it's a total respray with the objective of an 'as new' or as close
as you can get
to that level of finish, IMHO high pressure blasting with a powdered
abrasive is the
only resort. No amount of handwork with flatting papers and solvents
will get into ALL
the crevices and seams that HAVE to be clear to allow the etching
fluids and primers
to adhere. This theme has been contributed by many others - and I'd add
three
extra points.

1. You have to remove ALL the paint from ALL the areas you wouldn't
normally see -
wheelhousings, underdoors, inner valances etc - just as much as for the
visible areas.
This can prove difficult from an access viewpoint and a 'spit roast'
body cradle is the
answer. Not all bodyshops in UK have these (don't know about NA) but
it's
worth finding one that does.

2. Ensure the cleaned body is then totally devoid of any form of dust
in the form of fragmented
old paint, abrasive agent and old 'gunge.' A good finish will only be
achieved from a completely
sterile body and this is going to mean detailed attention from an ultra
high suction industrial
vacuum cleaner and a tack rag

3. Modern paints are outstanding in comparison to even those of 20
years ago. Even so, I always
feel a lot happier if at least one good dollop of zinc hits that bare
metal as the primary covering.
If two can be applied, I'm a very happy man.

John Mac

To do all this properly (and its a filthy job) demands full blown
professional equipment and facilities
if the finished result is to be an 'as new' looking car.