Re: Painting a spitfire question

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Painting a spitfire question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:45:16 -0500
At 12:13 PM 11/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Here is a stupid question...
>
>People say not to use chemicals to strip the car... Why?
>
>I assume that the reason for not sanding is fear of removing too much metal?

Dave,

  I can't speak for everyone - but I've done both.  What I've found is:

1. you have more control on how much paint is removed when you sand,
2. I've had problems with the chemical stripper apparently etching into the
   metal and paint NOT sticking,
3. the cost of stripper and the sandpaper is about the same.

I must admitt that I used a lot more stripper before I got my air driven
DA sander.  Sanding the body by hand is for the birds.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi