Re: Painting a spitfire question

To: <Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Painting a spitfire question
From: "Moorse,Jeffrey" <jeff.moorse@ABBOTT.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:50:02 -0600
That's certainly not a stupid question.  Sanding and strippers are fine=
 for
small repairs, but not for a whole car.
Here are my personal reasons for not using chemical strippers:

- The ones that work well are toxic, flammable, etc.  You need to wear =
respirator and gloves, and they'll destroy your clothes and anything pl=
astic.

- They are expensive and messy.  I can get a Spitfire-size car soda- or=

sandblasted here by a professional for under $150.

- It's almost impossible to get all the stripper out of seams and creas=
es.
You can't even wash it off with water without rusting   the metal and
if you paint over it the stripper will destroy the paint.

As far as sanding, that will take forever, leave paint in the seams, pr=
oduce
a wavy surface, cost a lot in sandpaper and really mess up your garage =
and
house.  You'll also be coughing up French blue paint for days unless yo=
u wear
a respirator.  I'd rather not say how I know all this.

Good luck!

Jeff Moorse
1974 Spitfire

owner-spitfires@autox.team.net on 11/10/98 12:08:55 AM