Re: Spit Roast Spitfires

To: James Carpenter <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>,
Subject: Re: Spit Roast Spitfires
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:52:25 -0800
Ahaa!  At last a question that I can answer...  (I told you there'd come
a time, Brad :^]  )   Anyway,  James, I just finished building the one
shown at
http://www.lips.net/~ima454/rotator.htm

It's got a big Chevelle hanging from it, so I think it's strong enough
to hold a Spit (or two!).  I looked at several different sites on the
web, before attempting to build this - pretty close to the $200.00 USD.
I hope to hang the tub on it by the end of December, and maybe get a few
pics up on a website as well.  I made mine a little shorter, and had to
make some special "Spit adaptors", since there's no "real good" place on
the back end of the roundtail to bolt it on to.  I ended up going inside
the trunk/boot to the bumper brackets.  If James or anybody has anymore
questions about it, I'd be happy to help.  The web instructions are very
good, and only a little unclear in one area.  There is no mechanism to
help you get it up on the rotor, so you might have to improvise...  I've
got a forklift to get mine up :^)  - Also, I think you can use it with
or without the frame - making sure, of course you brace the tub, if it's
by itself...  Good luck!

This is MY idea of a Rotary Spit!

Peter Ficklin
'63 & '69 Spits