Re: Spit Roast Spitfires

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit Roast Spitfires
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 21:50:16 -0500
At 03:52 PM 12/10/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Also, I think you can use it with or without the frame - making sure, of
>course you brace the tub, if it's by itself...  Good luck!

While I don't have a rotator, I do have a Spit hanging upside down from the
ceiling of my garage over my Bricklin!

I was very supprised when I stripped my last Spit.  2 of us lifted the body
off the chassis.  That really supprised me since I'm pretty sure I can't
pick up much more than 50#.  I didn't have the doors, or trunk lid on the
body at that time.  I was also very supprised at how strong and ridged the
body was.  You can even roll it over and work on the bottom of the body
laying in the grass.

So, you don't need the chassis to mount the body on a rotator.  And I imagine
that the fork lift would be real handy.  I keep telling everyone at work
that I could really use one of 'dm machines at my house.  I think every
one should have a fork lift in his garage and a chicken in every pot.

For those that don't have fork lifts in their back yard, I think that since
the body doesn't weigh more the 200# you could very easily rig a sling to
lift the body with an engine hoist.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi