Re: Spit Roast Spitfires

To: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Subject: Re: Spit Roast Spitfires
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 00:42:04 -0000
> I was wondering, is it possible to make a jig that would enable you
to role
> over a Spitfire, for working on the underside and things like that.
> Presumably you would take of the bonnet, take the fuel tank out,
take out
> the engine and transmission, all easy tasks then you could put big
skewer up
> it's rear end, would you need to remove the rear light cluster
panel.
> Would you want to, or would you want to do that with the body when
it's off
> the frame.

No, James
There was once a firm that used your idea pretty extensively. It was
called Standard Triumph and they bolted their bodies via the chassis
and spit roasted them through the paint shop on gurt big trollies.
Sadly, there hasn't been much of a demand for those trollies since
about 1980.

John Mac