Spitfire Story

To: "Spitfire Mail List" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire Story
From: "Laura G." <savercool@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:06:22 -0800
Well, which Spitfire story shall I tell?

My first spitty- Arthur- my ex bought for me from his commander as a
present. Actually, his best friend had a spit and I would borrow it all the
time. And babysit it when the ship was out. He found Arthur and convinced
the ex to get it for me.

My second spitty, I had just moved back to California from 8 1/2 years in
Europe (OH! The cars I got to drive over there! I'm salivating thinking of
them!<G>)-Anyway-I was at the OC Fairgrounds swapmeet with my cousins
boyfriend and I really needed a car and I had just won $5000 from a game
show and I saw this Spitfire sitting in the parking lot with a "For Sale"
sign on it. I don't remember what I said, but I jumped out of the truck at
the stop light and ran across the street (I don't even remember if there was
any traffic!) and checked it out. Looked great! Paint was old, original-but
the body was straight and he only wanted $1500. I called as soon as I got
home and went the next day to see the car and drive it-ran great. So, I
bought it.

ANd then there's Nigel-I was walking back from the garage where my Nissan
was being worked on and I walked past this place with all kinds of wonderful
little Brit babies. So, I went in and asked if they ever get any Spits.
Yeah, they had one. It was their restorers car. He showed it to me and the
car was perfect! Better than the day it was born! He wanted $8000-and I
didn't have a dime!

A year later, I had the money for a new car and I started to look around,
but I kept thinking about that perfect Spit! I went back and asked, "Do you
ever get any Spitfires?" Yeah, they had one (my heart skipped a beat) it was
their restorers car (I almost fainted!) but, he wasn't sure if the guy
wanted to sell it. SO he introduced me to the owner, Dave. We started to
talk Triumohs. It was a car he'd had for 13 years, restoring as a project
for him and his (now grown) son. Showed me around the car. And I bought it
without even driving it! Got a good deal-and Dave sort of came with the car.
Not only did I get a great car-I also got a great friend and mechanic!

Spittys thrill me-all years. I'd like to have a perfect MkIII-to VTR
standards, and another "fun" daily driver done in RAF camouflage. And a GT6.
And a Stag.
(One down 3 to go!) But, I'll always have one-and I'll always have my Nigel!

Sorry to run on so-(Spitfires are my first and only real,true love! For 31
years!)

Laura G. and Nigel