Spitfire Story

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Story
From: FW Underwood <funder77@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:08:34 -0500
My spitfire story isn't that much different than everyone else's except
that I wasn't out to buy a Spitfire. I was looking at a MKII Cortina at
a junkyard. Fortunately, the Cortina had been stacked in preparation for
the crusher to become whatever it is they make out of recycled steel
cars. The owner of the junkyard was preparing to retire, and they were
going to auction off as many cars as they could on October 30,1997. The
minimum bid was $75. Turned out that I was bidding against the owners'
son in law, and the price kept going rediculously higher and higher. I
finally won the battle at $600 plus the 10% buyers premium. The details,
NO intact interior- sat in the open with no protection for six years.
25,683 original miles, cracked and fractured exhaust manifold[no
surprise] siezed engine- just from sitting for so long, but for the most
part everything was original and there. Got the car home and over the
past year have bought a battery- almost all the electrics work. Radio,
headlights, windscreen/shield washer pump, turn signals, 4-way flashers,
etc.  After a couple of "gentle" pushes with the Taurus the engine turns
over- with battery the engine cranks but won't start. I buy a
replacement exhaust manifold and bolt the catalytic converter. Nothing
else has been done, and the car continues to sit outside, on my
driveway. I keep the tires inflated, almost daily, and the original
tonnuea cover is in place. Even the original bag for the tire tool and
jack is in the trunk/boot. BTW, the days are numbered (about 30) for
having to stay outside. The workshop is under construction and just this
afternoon I put the first roof truss into place.
cheers,
--
Frank Underwood
59 Ford Consul MKII 'lowline' convertible 204E/A 204E 205730