Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 07:51:14 PST
About 2 months ago I replaced the diffy in my spitfire and I replaced
all the u-joints around july.  In my case the noise was definately from
the diffy and my car has about 55K on the odometer.  From what I
understand a diffy noise will be heard under load.  Mine became audible
around 40 mph with moderate acceleration.  Keep stomping the go pedal
after that and it just got louder and louder (I'm talking REALLY loud).
Take your foot off the gas, boom, no noise.  Apparently the pinion wore
a groove in the ring outside of the normal tooth.  U-joints by
comparison traditionally make more of a bang or repetative "wump".

hope that helps

Ryan Smith
72 Emerald Green Spitfire