Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil, mowog@usa.net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question
From: PVanDuyne@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:41:13 EST
jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil writes:

<< Brian, I just went through this ordeal on my Spitfire.  The diffs really
 are not that noisy (the fact that it only sits two feet from your ears vice
 the 6 to 8 in other vehicles probably affects it)  I had an incredible
 noise in my rear end and was convinced it was the diff.  It was just as you
 described.  What it ended up being was the u-joints!  One of them was so
 dry (actually I blew the rusts dust out upon final removal) that it had
 gouged into the journal of the u-joint, making a deep ripple around the
 journal.  As I accelerated or drove I assume the needle bearings would jam
 into the gouges and others would slide over them making a horrendous noise.
   Hope I helped.

 Patrick Bowen

 At 08:01 AM 1/7/99 EST, Brian Furgalus wrote:
 >I am going to be making a gentleman an offer on a 1980 Spitfire.  The car is
 >in nice mechanical condition, but the rear end concerns me.  At speed,
 >something from the rear tends to make an intermitant whining noise (like
 gears
 >in a gearbox, but it's definitely NOT that!).With the clutch disengaged, the
 >noise disappears.  The car only has 34,000 genuine miles, so I really don't
 >see how there could be a diff. problem, but I could be wrong!  I'm
 inclined to
 >think it's a diff. problem, because if it were anything else, the noise
would
 >be evident on decel., regardless of whether or not the clutch was
 disengaged.
 >I don't know how to describe the noise.  It is, I think, most definitely
from
 >the diff, but I know the diff is noisy in the spitfire.  What is considered
 >normal?  It's not so loud as to not be able to talk over it, but it sure is
 >annoying after a while, top up!
 >
 >Thanks!
 >
 >Brian Furgalus
 >
 >(BTW- This list is the greatest thing since sliced bread!  I happily read
 >people's stories.  They're fun!)

 Patrick & Brian

I also had the same experiance as Patrick the U-Joint where completely shot
and much cheaper than a Differential. Brian, I was advised to change all the
bushing at the same time as replacing the U-joints, which I did. The axle
assemblies should be removed to allow for a "good beating" to remove the old
u-joints, might as well replace the related bushings and wear parts at the
same time.
Patrick, I noticed a fair bit of grease had entered my right rear brake drum
through the seal and wanted to remove the hub while doing the above, but was
stopped by the "need" for the previously described HUB Puller ( if you have a
BL Repair Manual for 1500's see pg 47-2). I plan to make my own but you had
luck with a hammer? I would be interested in your solution.

Pete
1980 Spit