Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question

To: Brian Furgalus <mowog@usa.net>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:43:58
Brian, I just went through this ordeal on my Spitfire.  The diffs really
are not that noisy (the fact that it only sits two feet from your ears vice
the 6 to 8 in other vehicles probably affects it)  I had an incredible
noise in my rear end and was convinced it was the diff.  It was just as you
described.  What it ended up being was the u-joints!  One of them was so
dry (actually I blew the rusts dust out upon final removal) that it had
gouged into the journal of the u-joint, making a deep ripple around the
journal.  As I accelerated or drove I assume the needle bearings would jam
into the gouges and others would slide over them making a horrendous noise.
  Hope I helped.

Patrick Bowen

At 08:01 AM 1/7/99 EST, Brian Furgalus wrote:
>I am going to be making a gentleman an offer on a 1980 Spitfire.  The car is
>in nice mechanical condition, but the rear end concerns me.  At speed,
>something from the rear tends to make an intermitant whining noise (like
gears
>in a gearbox, but it's definitely NOT that!).With the clutch disengaged, the
>noise disappears.  The car only has 34,000 genuine miles, so I really don't
>see how there could be a diff. problem, but I could be wrong!  I'm
inclined to
>think it's a diff. problem, because if it were anything else, the noise would
>be evident on decel., regardless of whether or not the clutch was
disengaged.
>I don't know how to describe the noise.  It is, I think, most definitely from
>the diff, but I know the diff is noisy in the spitfire.  What is considered
>normal?  It's not so loud as to not be able to talk over it, but it sure is
>annoying after a while, top up!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Brian Furgalus
>
>(BTW- This list is the greatest thing since sliced bread!  I happily read
>people's stories.  They're fun!)

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL