Re: a few questions

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: a few questions
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:08:27 -0400
At 10:59 AM 4/19/99 -0400, John wrote:

>I'd have to dissagree somewhat on the POR-15.  I painted my whole frame and
>all of the drivetrain with this.  Before I was done, I starting running out
>of it. I switched to Rustoleum to paint part of the differential and it took
>at least 3 times as long to dry as the POR-15.

POR-15 is triggered by moisture.  The more humid it is the faster it will dry.
I've had parts dry in less than 2 hrs.  This weekend I was painting on my
Sonett and it too over 8 hrs for the POR to dry as it was a very dry day!

Again, I'll mention my POR-15 FAQ on either of my web pages listed below.
It's in the tech/restoration sections.

>You're right though, it is high gloss and I think the only good way to paint
>over it is when it's tacky - since it's a B#@$% to sand.

I've heard of an old trick, but never tried it.  To turn a gloss black to
a flat black, add some baby powder to the paint before you brush it on.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan     Bricklin: webus80.wang.com/BI