Re: Driveshafted, Part 2

To: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Driveshafted, Part 2
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 20:51:21 -0700

"R.D. Waid" wrote:

> 1. Do all the rollers lie in the same plane in the races? As the driveshaft
>was
> falling apart in my hands, it seemed that the rollers were alternating with
>some
> perpendicular to others. The height of the cylindrical rollers is exactly the
> same as the diameter, so they might be able to lie at right angles to each
>other
> in the races. It was easy to put the spline back together if I put them all in
> in the same plane in each race. The spline slides in and out very smoothly.

Yes, They all lie in the same plane.  The flat ends are in a row with the
rounded bodies touching each other in a row, so that when the
thing flexes in and out, they roll.

YOu are very fortunate to have found them all.  Someone had previously taken
apart the one from my Mk1 Spit and 2 of the rollers were
missing.

> 2. Should the shaft-mounted yokes of the U-joints be perpendicular or
>parallel?
> ISTR from earlier posts that they should be perpendicular.

I too recall that thread, but can't recall what the consensus was.  Barry
Schwartz is the one who was the source of that wisdom, as I
recall!

Joe