Re: Driveshafted, Part 2

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Driveshafted, Part 2
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:07:28 -0400
Hi, Joe.

The shaft I disassembled and the picture in Haynes had (in each row)
alternating horizontal/vertical rollers.  i.e. each row of ten rollers
had five vertical and five horizontal.  As I said, Bentley's
instructions were to not disassemble the joint, which was an open
invitation to me to disassemble the joint.  I don't think it had been
open before.

I will try to find more authoratative documentation.

(more of my [in]famous ascii art

 ===================
 ===================
 | O[]O[]O[]O[]O[] |--------

Donald.

> Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 20:02:44 -0700
> From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
> CC: msp01091@isd.net, Spitfires@autox.team.net
>
> Donald,
> Let me see if I am reading this right.  Are you saying that
> every other roller should be pointing in an opposite direction from
> its adjacent ones, or that the rows of rollers should be pointing in
> opposite directions?
>
> I can't see how the first possibility can work and the ones I have
> taken apart have the rollers curved sides all touching and the flat
> ends all in a row.
>
> On a different (but related) note, I took apart a spare Spitfire Mk1
> sliding shaft to see how the rollers were positioned and after
> working all the dried up grease so that the sliding piece comes off,
> I discovered that there are no rollers in that one!  Oh well!
>
> Joe
>
> "Donald H. Locker" wrote:
> >
> > The rollers should be alternating; the yokes should be parallel to
> > each other.  Standard driveline practice.  (There was only one
> > occasion where I had to set the u-joints out of phase, and that
> > was for a driveshaft with 6 joints at various angles in a garbage
> > truck, and where the manufacturer needed a very quick fix.  After
> > getting the angles set correctly, we went back to normal phasing
> > and retrofitted the few vehicles that were strange.)

> > FWIW, Bentley tells you not to disassemble the sliding joint, but
> > an older Haynes that I have shows the joint nicely.  I could scan
> > it if anyone really wants it.  And yes, someone lost the retainer
> > for you.  Thank goodness you found the other rollers.
> >
> > Donald.

[original message cut]