RE: Swing spring / camber compensator

To: "'Richard B Gosling'" <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: RE: Swing spring / camber compensator
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:55:38 +0100

> While we are on the subject of swing spring suspension (at
> least we were a
>  couple of days ago), I have a question - If, with a swing
> spring rear set-up,
>  all the roll stiffness of the car is provided by the front
> springs and
>  anti-roll bar, how is it that it is the rear spring that is
> responsible for
>  the typical drivers-side sag seen on most Spitfires with
> elderly springs?

Richard,
        It's a broad generalisation to say that the rear spring is
responsible for drivers side sagging - there are a number of other causes,
for instance a twisted front anti-roll bar or sagging front spring. The rear
spring is sometimes the cause, but often it is the pad which this rests
against in the housing atop the diff. Where there is sag caused by the front
end, this is more evident on swing spring cars BECAUSE of the lack of roll
stiffness at the back. The fixed spring of the earlier cars serves to
provide resistance against any tendancy for the front end to lean (in a
static condition), while the swing-spring allows the front to dictate the
stance of the car.
        I'll let others comment on the camber compensator (Joe?).
                Cheers,
                        Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1961 Herald 1200 Coupé
 | |                  | |   1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
Join The Herald Mailing List at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/triumph_herald