Re: Swing spring / camber compensator

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Swing spring / camber compensator
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:18:42 -0400
That's not like you Joe.  I'm not interested in having the last word.  That
doesn't really matter to me.  What does matter to me is accuracy, learning, and
making our cars better.

A camber compensator is a teeter-totter on a kids play ground.  As long as one
kid is going up, and the other kid is going down, the tetter-totter just pivots
and the kids have a grand time.  But it will not allow both kids to go down at
the same time.  The camber compensator is the same way.
The anti-sway bar is like the hinges on an oven door.  You can open and close
the oven door  with no resistance,.  Try to twist the door so one side goes up
and the other side goes down, and the hinges will resist this mightaly, ala
anti sway bar.
Very different actions and affects.  The oven door would make a very boring
playground ride.

At the risk of putting fat on the fire, an anti sway bar can make jacking or
wheel tuck worse.  It resists allowing the outside wheel from settling up into
the wheel well in the safe negative camber position (oven door effect), keeping
it a bit more in the positive camber position.  Go through a slalom, and you
could find yourself up on your hubcaps even sooner, with the help of an anti
sway bar literally jacking you up because it doesn't want the wheels to go to
the differing positions that the swing spring or camber compensator take them
to.  I'm not saying you inherently will jack quicker with an anti-sway bar, but
it certainly has the potential to make it worse, particularly on the earlier
fixed spring cars.

The camber compensator isn't for everyone, I agree.  Though with an older fixed
spring car, I think it's probably the #1 most needed modification, but that's
just my opinion.  Nor is a rear sway bar for everyone.  These are two very
different pieces of equipment, performing two very different functions, giving
two very different results.

Please don't have a "last say" and disappear.  Stay, learn, teach.  I'm not
preaching from Mt Sinai, and I certainly don't have stone tablets on
suspensions.  I'm not done learning, and I'm far from being infallible.  If I'm
truly missing something, I'd like to have it pointed out to me.  It would be
good for me, and good for anyone who's following this thread.  Together we
learn things.