Re: Fuel

To: <OHFASTONE@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel
From: "MikeC" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:29:01 -0600
>Nitromethane on the otherhand is a no no
>with high compression, if you do, depending on what you are doing, run the
>risk of hydraulicking a cylinder (nitro has an A/F ratio of around 1 to 1).

I'm sure you are correct about this, but what I ment reguarding nitromethane
was the artificially induced high compression created by extreme boost
pressures.  I should have been more clear.

>Yeah, kinda.  The nitro burners running a 90% load of nitro and roughly 20
>pounds of boost have about 70 degrees of advance but make roughly 6000 hp
and

Here the balance I was talking about. The artificially induced high
compression from the extreme boost pressures requires a slower burning fuel,
but this requires an extreme timing advance so by the time the piston is on
its way back down the cylinder bore everything is into "max burn mode" (high
tech term).

>No war intended, just enjoying straightening out some myths.

No war here.  I also was trying to straighten out some myths responding to
the other lister's original post about the motorcycle that ran on 140 octane
aviation fuel and what it would do for him in his Spitfire.
MikeC