Re: dash wiring harness from vicky brit

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: dash wiring harness from vicky brit
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:25:11 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Joe Curry wrote:

> Bill,
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1. Did you include the shipping costs.

No, I addressed that latter.  I paid no shipping for my parts from Rimmer
and although they only do that once a year, the others never do it.

>                                          That part is likely the biggest
> factor in the US supplier's additional costs.

Maybe, maybe not.  But as a point of reference, I got one small item
from England that was not available from anyone over here, the flange
for installing a Falcon SS Exhaust on my Spit, and the Jaguar dealer
who sent it to me sent it to me for just the cost of postage.  No charge
for the part itself.  Postage was a couple of bucks.

>                                                They fane to
> bring the parts in (usually from Britain) and then add the cost to their
>price.

Afraid i don't understand this sentence.  "fane" is old english for "Church
or Temple".  And why would Rimmer get parts "(usually from Britain)" when
they are in Britain.  It is also my understanding that they manufacture
some of the parts themselves from original dies.  Which would explain why
they have parts that no one else seems to have.

> 2. Why didn't you include SpitBits and BPNorthwest in your chart.

I stated that I used the current catalogs that I have.  Also, I have
experience with the 4 companies I cited.  I prefer firsthand experience
to "the brother of a friend of my wife's cousin" accounts.

> I find that both them are cheaper than the other 3 suppliers in most
> cases and might even rival Rimmer.

Possible, but not within my realm of experience.  I was merely answering
your claim that Rimmer was the most expensive.  Being a very satisfied
customer, I felt they deserved the defense.  How about looking up the
items in my list and posting their prices??  And on the Starter, I would
be very interested in availability.  When I needed mine, Rimmer was the
only one on my list that could assure me they actually had one to send
me.

And if their still out there reading this, don't feel bad about my not
wearing the free baseball cap you sent.  My wife loves it and wears it
almost anytime she rides in the Spit when the top is down (which is
whenever it leaves the driveway!!)

> Admittedly, I don't deal with Rimmer.  I find it difficult to make
> international long distance calls.

I have done all my dealings by Email.  Much cheaper than international
phone calls and if I need to clarify something much less prone to
misunderstanding.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |