Re: dash wiring harness from vicky brit

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: dash wiring harness from vicky brit
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:31:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Joe Curry wrote:

> Bill,
> Hold on for just one minute.  I don't recall Rimmer even being mentioned
>until you brought up their name.  The whole thing was about VB
> and then the comparison with other US suppliers.  There is no reason for you
>to be defending Rimmers when nobody was casting any
> aspersions their way.

Say what???

===== Included from a previous message ======

From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:39:49 -0700

Bill,

Again three reasons.

1. Prices are almost always higher than any other Spitfire supplier I deal
with.2. They are order takers with no questions answered.  You have to know
exactly what you want before you order.
3. Their shipping policy bites the big one!  If they would charge actual
shipping + handling charge.  But the way they do it, you pay
the same price regardless if they ship 100 bucks worth of foam rubber or lead
ballast.  In my case $17.50 for shipping 8 lifters is a
bit much!

Regards,
Joe

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Jeff McNeal wrote:
>

> > Try Rimmer Bros. if all else fails.  I'll bet they'd have it.
> >

> Why as a last resort??  I have found them to be a great supplier of
> parts.  Ground shipping is slow, but not that expensive. And they
> have usually beat the other suppliers by a wide margin.
>
> bill

======== End of Included text =============

Someone mentioned Rimmer to be used only as a last resort.
I asked why.
And you replied with three reasons which I debunked as false or irrelevant.

> I'm sure they are a first rate business and deserve all the praise you
> heap upon them.  But one of the reasons for their great prices
> recently is the disparity in the exchange rate.  It greatly favors US
> dollars right now, but it is not likely to last since those
> things are always in a state of flux.

Who cares why??  The fact is for the past year and for as far into the
future as I can see they are a bargain.  And I think people should know
that.  I have been amazed at how many times I have seen parts mentioned
on the various mailing lists as being unobtainable whne they are plainly
listed in my Rimmer catalog.  The whole point is if someone doesn't like
them, fine, don't use them.  But don't use false or inaccurate information
to try and drive away other potential customers. Others didn't like it
when TRF was on the receiving end and I think Rimmer deserves at least the
same consideration.

All the best.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.