Re: Seat Foams

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seat Foams
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:34:45 -0500

I restored my '78 seat foams and covers last year, and while it was somewhat
expensive, it was very much worth the cost. I saved some money by ordering
the parts during the winter, when interior parts are often on sale. I also
saved a little by not buying the foams and covers for the headrests, which
were okay on my car although the seats themselves were shot to hell.

Trust me, the expense of new seat foams and covers is well worth it. The
covers make the interior look brand new and the foams are soooo comfortable.
My old seats were so bad that when I first drove with the new foam
installed, I actually felt like I was sitting about three inches higher (and
I probably was)!

Every time I drive my car I am glad I did the seats. If you can spare the
couple hundred bucks the parts will cost you, I highly recommend this
upgrade.

P.S. There was some talk on this thread of making your own foams, and I
would think that would be much more trouble than it's worth. The foams,
while expensive, are actually very complex, each made up of several pieces
of foam of various densities. The side bolster pieces in particular seem
like they would be impossible to cut to the exact size. I say bite the
bullet and buy the repro parts ready to go. It'll save a lot of headaches.

Eric.