Safety inspection?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety inspection?
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:56:12 -0500

In Illinois, we don't have any safety inspection whatsoever. The state
doesn't care if your car falls apart at speed, killing all occupants... as
long as it has clean exhaust emissions as it careens off the highway. :)

My question is this: is a safety inspection a good idea? I am confident that
all the major systems on my car are in good working order, and I believe the
vehicle is safe, but I may not be aware of some things that a detailed
safety inspection might find to be amiss.

Can someone from a state with strict safety inspections put together a list
of all the things that are checked? I'd like to go over my own car and be
sure all is well.

Eric.