Re: Safety inspection?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Safety inspection?
From: "Marcus Schaper" <mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:17:24 -0400
Essentially check if everything in your car works and is within manufacturer's
specs.

>From my expirience check:
- suspension: are all bushings tight - no play? Any play in joints (ball
joints, u-joints, stabilizer bar end links, tie rod ends)? Any play in wheel
bearings? Are your shocks good? Are the springs sagging?

- body and frame: any cracks are rust holes or improper repairs (fiberglass and
bondo, pop rivets) anywhere?

- Electrics: does everything work, no burned wires, cracked insulation, duck
tape quick fixes? Headlights properly adjusted, no blind reflectors?

- brakes: do they work evenly? No excessive travel in pedal? All pads, shoes,
rotors, and drums minimum thickness? Does the E-brake hoold on the 3rd click?

- tires: correct size (155-80R13) evenly worn, minimum 3mm thread in the
shallow grooves, no dry rotting cracks?

- engine: emissions within manufacturer's specs when new? Any oil leakage?

This is list is pretty much the minimum requirement to pass the German safety
inspection. Honestly, most American safety inspections and the British MOT are
a joke compared to what German testers look for.

BTW, we have to go through this every other year and the older your car is they
closer they look. And there is no relaxation of emission standards the older
your car gets.
Most Spits I have seen in the US are far from passing this test.

Cheers,
Marcus
72 MKIV (waiting for me in Germany)