RE: Safety inspection?

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Subject: RE: Safety inspection?
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:07:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Simmons, Reid W wrote:

Would that it were truly so.

> The safety inspections were started for the most part because the vast
> majority of car owners never "take a wrench" to their cars and probably
> wouldn't know how to if they had to.  Additionally, they generally only have
> the pros work on them when something breaks.  Consequently there are
> thousands of dangerous projectiles hurtling up and down the highways and
> byways of the US.  The safety inspections are an attempt to deal with this
> problem.

While most of this is true, it is also true that in most places (and I have
lived in a number of different parts of the country during my many years in
the Army) you can easily find a place that will stick the sticker on for the
standard price of an inspection.  The people who maintain their cars take
them to legit inspection stations, those who don't, well, you can guess
where they take them.

> The emissions inspections on the other hand are an attempt to make the air
> we breath "human friendly".

And yet commercial vehicles, manufacturing plants and home heating systems
are allowed to pump out all the pollution they can generate.  We still have
a majority of high-sulfer coal and oil heated homes around here, not to
mention all the after-market wood and coal 9and frequently garbage) burners.

Sorry, car inspections are little more than another tax.  (The fact that
the inspector gets to keep all but the actual cost of the stickers just
adds insult to injury when you figure most of them are totally incapable
of actually determining the safety of most cars, especially the newer
models and classics!!)

All the best.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.