RE: Safety inspection?

To: Mike Welch <mikew@turbopower.com>
Subject: RE: Safety inspection?
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:47:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Mike Welch wrote:

> On my first Spit (a '65) I installed one of those bicycle flags (5'
> fiberglass pole with an orange triangular flag) off the rear bumper.  I did
> that after a semi merged into my lane and I ended up doing 65mph under the
> trailer.  When my current Spit is roadworthy, I'll have the flag and side
> marker lights right in front of the doors.

Wouldn't have done any good.  The trucker just didn't care.  I have been
run off the road by trucks on the Interstate frequently and that wasn't
in the Spitfire.  That was in a Volvo Station Wagon and a Jeep Grand
Cherokee.  Neither is particularly invisible.

Why should truckers care??  After killing you they will merely drive
away without so much as a traffic ticket.  I don't know about out west,
but around here trucks seem to be exempt from obeying the Motor Vehicle
Code.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |