Re: Triumphest 2000

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Triumphest 2000
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:39:21 -0700
>I was looking over the schedule of events in the brochure I got earlier
this summer and to my surprise and dismay, there is no
>autocross scheduled.
Joe,
Personally, I believe it's a social gathering of Triumph enthusiasts, and
that many of them don't get to travel to some of these places unless there
is some kind of event that brings them there so having things to do in the
city of choice is part of the charm - I'm not part of the club so I Have no
direct influence, but possibly The auto-X is a particularly expensive
proposition with insurance, regulations, (permits??) and all, plus even if
one were held it would have to be quite far from the location as the hotel
is right in the middle of downtown, closer to the main airport (for those
few not driving this is a real boon as the hotel has a shuttle to and from
the airport) and there is really no practical place anywhere close by to
hold one.  Also, I wouldn't think most people would want to drive 25-30
miles to go racing and then have to drive back, possibly in heavy traffic
to get to and from the event, but I could be wrong. . . The area that this
event is being held is right on the bay, beautiful place (actually where my
wife and I got married), but heck if ya really want to tow something and ya
got a boat tow it on down, the launch ramp is almost right across from the
hotel so you could get in a little water skiing if ya wanted :-) !

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)