Spitfire/Hyundai Transmission

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire/Hyundai Transmission
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:48:12 -0600
To Joe, Carter, Michael and all others interested,

    I realize there are a lot of variables to this possibility.  This
guy talks a lot, and I don't know how much of what he says is true, or
even possible.  That's why I asked the list.

He says making the adaptor plate is no problem - he says 'made lots of
them for various swaps'.

I know Hyundai reliability - owned one once.  But it's weaknesses never
included the transmission.

The new Hyundais are frontwheel drive, the Ponys are rearwheel.  They
came in 5 speed or automatic.

I found 2 automatics but no manuals in one wrecker yesterday, so don't
really know availability.

Pilot bearing should be easy to change, clutch plate shouldn't be too
difficult to find (?), shifter position, etc.... well nothing's going to
be perfect I reckon, but might be worth that 5th speed.

Keep the suggestions coming
Cheers, Fred
--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,