DIY painting

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: DIY painting
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 07:35:01 -0600
After pretty good success at repainting my old utility truck
with acrylic enamal, I'm tempted to try my Spit tub as a DIY
project.

I can't seem to justify the $3000+ quotes I'm getting from
shops - if they can even do the job (or even want to).

I spent weeks sanding, removing whatever was removable and
spent 4 manhours masking the rest.  With tutoring from a
friend, applied 3 coats in his garage in only 1 hour.
Seemed easy, and looks good, but not really good enough for
a Spit.

My question is - which is bettter/easier/etc for a DIY
novice with limited facilities - acrylic enamel or acrylic
lacquer.  I'm not even considering base, clear coat.

The Spit is in pieces - tub, hood, doors etc, and is all
plastiblasted and undercoated, so I assume most of the work
is already done?

Cheers, Fred
--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths