Tight brake hub

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tight brake hub
From: "D T Gebhard" <kimkell@decaturnet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:54:00 -0500
Spitlisters:
    I just got done putting new brake shoes on my
Spit. One side went on great. T'other was a
different story. After cleaning and backing out the
adjustment screw as far as it would go,the hub was
very tight but it went on with a little persuading
with a plastic mallet.Everything back on,I went for
a test drive for about a mile. That's when I
noticed the slight smell of heat and smoke. The
drums are painted so some of the smoke was hot
paint,the rest had to be hot brakes.
    What did I do wrong? Could I have done any
damage? I've done a lot of brake jobs so I'm
confident in my abilities.
            Thanks for any advice...
            Dave Gebhard
            1977 Spit