Re: Tight Brake Hub

To: Greg Rowe <growe58@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tight Brake Hub
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:28:09 -0700
Greg Rowe wrote:

> I gotta go with Doug on this one.  IIRC, the manual also states the same
> thing.  You adjust the handbrake by adjusting the brakes (it's
> easier anyway).  _Only_ after that, would you consider a separate
> handbrake adjustment and that should _only_ be necessary occasionally
> to compensate for stretched cable or other wear.  These are not
> separate adjustments that both need to be made to account for brake
> shoe wear.

In an ideal world, I'd agree with that.  But we're talking SPITFIRES here!!!  I
have in fact found it necessary to adjust the front cable to adjust
where the handbrake grabs.  BTW, on a VW Beetle this is quite necessary because
if you pull the handle too far up (after the brakes are worn), the
stop cog will come off it's mating cog and require the whole thing to be
reassembled.

Joe